EFK Home Challenge
Stand a chance to WIN up to *RM100 in credit when you participate in our Engineering based activities
Submit Your Projects At ANY TIME During The MCO Period
BUILD A MUSICAL INSTRUMENT
A Mechanical Engineering Challenge
What is sound? Sound and music are always around us. The best part is you don’t need a lot to make sound or music. Just by snapping your fingers (if you can) you can create a sound or a beat to a music. Understanding of vibrations is very important to engineers. The challenge for you (if you dare) is to CREATE a musical instrument using THINGS you can find at home and play a tune (a melody or a song). This is going to be so fun!
Click on the TITLE to expand for more details
To create a musical instrument using everyday materials. Everyone’s a winner. Successfully complete the challenge and your entry will be entered into a draw where at random you stand to win either RM25, RM50 or RM100 in credit.
- You must make your musical instrument with materials you can find at your home
- You must be able to play a melody or a song with your musical instrument.
- Upload a video of you playing a melody or a song with your musical instrument on Facebook
- Tag Engineering for Kids Malaysia
- Sound is created when something vibrates and sends sound waves into our ears
- The stronger the vibrations the louder the sound
- The speed of the vibrations will determine the pitch (high or low).
- What is sound? Vibrations that travel through the air or another medium and can be heard when they reach a person’s or animal’s ear.
- What is music? Vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.
- How did my instrument create sound?
- What type of instrument is it? (brass, percussions, woodwind or string)
- How does sound come out from my mouth when I speak?
- Apply the Engineering Design Process in creating a musical instrument. The engineering Design process helps children plan what needs to be done and how to further improve their creation
- With limited resources, children Learn to use the resources that are available. In the event a resource is not available, children are encouraged to improvise using something else.
- Understand the basics of sound and vibrations. Sound is produced when something vibrates. The vibrating body causes the medium (water, air, etc.) around it to vibrate. Vibrations in air are called traveling longitudinal waves, also known as sound waves. And because waves can only travel a certain distance depending on the amplitude (volume)
- Develop problem solving skills as they face multiple problems in completing this challenge
- Improve fine motor skills – Children will be exposed to different types of hand-eye coordination tasks, from cutting something with a pair of scissors to attaching pieces together. Younger children especially will benefit from this.
- Cultivate creativity and innovation – Children add in their own twist to their creation as they try to come up with something new and exciting
Challenge 2 Instructions
Engineering Design Process
How To Win Challenge
- Complete the challenge
- Take a photo or video
- Upload onto your Facebook page and tag us, Engineering for Kids Malaysia (make sure the privacy of the post is set to public)
Terms & Conditions
- You are permitted to submit more than one entry for each challenge
- You are permitted to participate in more than one challenge
- You may submit your projects at any time during the MCO period
- To qualify, all submissions via uploads to FaceBook MUST tag Engineering for Kids Malaysia
- All credits are redeemable at our center and can only be used for purchase of center classes or camps
- All credits are not exchangeable for cash
Register Your Interest
Register your contact details below and once Movement Control Restriction is uplifted, we will notify you of our fun and educational programs.